Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Beginning of the End

It’s testing time in Hollis, Queens! No, I’m paraphrasing Run-DMC.

This time of year is filled with testing and testing and study guides and textbooks and attitudes and tutoring and disappointment and expectation. For me, after my testing prep has begun, it means watching The Odyssey.

It’s not a bad film, made for TV in the late 90s. It stars Armand Assante in the titular role. He looks the part, but Sean Bean in Troy is the better actor. Still, for taking up two and a half class periods at the end of the year, as preparation for the final exam, it can’t be beat.

It’s tough to believe that another school year is coming to an end. Of course, around November, it’s hard to imagine that I’ll make it to Summer. In June, however, I look back at the year that was and wonder where the time went. If taken in chunks (from holiday to holiday), the year isn’t that long.

Post Labor Day, the next school time off is in October, when the students have a day off, due to teacher development. The kids get to stay home, but the teachers are crammed into classrooms, “learning”. It’s all geared towards receiving points for recertifying our teaching license; it’s also nice to have a break from the students (and them from us).

Moving on, Thanksgiving is the next BFD, one that everyone looks forward to. In years past, I’ve hopped on a plane to Arkansas to arrive in Rodgers Thursday afternoon. The students get excited for the first time of the year, regaling each other with tales of much food they can eat, the relatives they’ll see, they parties they’ll go to and the awful things they’ll do.

Then Christmas rolls around. Boy howdy.

At present, however, I’ve got to try and have one foot in the now, with an eye on what’s coming up.

- Do I audition for this show or that one?

- If I do, will it interfere with Sarah’s plans? (That’s the subject of a future post.)

- What about the coming school year? What show(s) will be put on?

- I’m becoming increasingly interested in producing/directing. Gotta keep my ears open.

- How about money?

Questions, questions, questions. No answers as of yet.

On a side note, I’m noticing my shape the mirror lately. It’s getting rounder. If I’m going to play a role I’ll never get the chance to play again (maybe in the Winter?), I’m going to need to slim down and get into the best shape of my life. No fooling.

And life goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment