Friday, June 18, 2010

Cool!

I just saw the coolest thing on the way home from picking up the boys.

I heard about a 10 car pile up on 95, so I took Jefferson Davis to avoid calamity. You have to drive through some pretty shady places to get to Oregon Hill/VCU area. This part of town serves as home for some of my students; I only wish them safety and security. That part of the Southside can also foster some pretty gnarly stereotypes, one of which I will happily demolish now.

Going about 35 mph, I saw a group of men clustered together in a front yard, backs to the road. They ranged in ages from teens to middle age and beyond, all black. I saw no women. They were dressed in the urban style of the day: enormous pants, sandals with white socks, sports jerseys or t-shirts. A Kangol cap or two.

What was it they were watching, I wondered? A dog fight? Arm wrestling? TV? Moments passed, as I drove by them, the boys dozing in their car seats. Suddenly, a cheer went up from all the men, and there was clapping of backs and slapping of hands. Clearly, someone had accomplished something of note.

The last glance I had before they completely passed my view was of the crowd of men, still cheering, gathered around a small table. Two men sat opposite each other, both with looks of pride and victory. Between them, on the table, was a chess board.

Made my week.

No comments:

Post a Comment